Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Round 2, Day 21: Looking Good, Feeling Better

Round 2 is coming to a close.  Round 3 starts in less than 12 hours.  Once I pull through the first 10 days or so, will really be halfway done.

Monday I attended a workshop called "Look Good, Feel Better," "a public service program serving cancer patients."

Not to be confused with the book, "Looking Pretty, Feeling Fine - Total Beauty for Teens" (May -- do you remember that one from freshman year? I had it here but may have been overzealous in cleaning out and I think I donated it to Goodwill).

The Look Good, Feel Better Program gives people going through chemotherapy all kinds of tips on coping with the toll that chemotherapy takes on your physical appearance.  The workshop walked us through their 12-step program.  Step 1 -- denial that your hair is falling out.  Step 2 -- anger that not only is your hair falling out but your scalp is dry and itchy and painful.  And so on until Step 12 -- acceptance that eventually even your eyebrows and eyelashes start to fall out too.  Ok.  No, those aren't the steps.  But there really is a booklet with a 12-step makeup guide.  And I got all kinds of swag like lotions, creams, lipsticks, mascara, foundation, blush, concealer, etc. etc. etc.  And instructions on how to use these products, many of which are unfamiliar to me.  A nice treat was that a few of the women from the support group I've been attending were there and they made it that much more fun.

And I am feeling so much better than 10 days ago.  Walked to work today for the first time in weeks and weeks.  It was 68 degrees out when I left this morning!  Yoga tonight and more walking.  Last night went for a walk and then dinner with a friend.  My current self is urging my future self to remember that no matter how bad I feel, Day 13 WILL come and I will feel better again.

Oh - an update on the taste changes.  Desperate for caffeine the other day, I tried Pepsi.  And I'll be damned if that Pepsi didn't taste much better than Coke.  So strange.  Probably because it is sweeter.  My latest craving has been for mint - especially mint ice cream.  Have been having girl scout thin mints, mint oreos, mint aero bars and mint oreo cookies too.

And back to wig for a moment.  Today one of the partners in my firm who I haven't seen in weeks complimented me on my new hair style.  I smiled and said, "thank you."

5 comments:

  1. So, you are saying Pepsi tastes good now, but not Coke?
    I hope everything goes smoothly today! Hi Mom.
    - Peter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, that is correct. I am a traitor. It was another long day 6 hours including the long wait at the pharmacy while their register was broken. But it went fine. Mom says hi back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "My current self is urging my future self to remember that no matter how bad I feel..." I LOVE IT!!! Yes, ma'am! Day 13 WILL COME!! Thinking about you over the next few days and hoping they move quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might still have a copy of the book at my parents' house!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you! I'm a Pepsi fan but Walter is a coke fan. Coke or Pepsi- it all depends on what's on sale.

    How about mint jelly on toast?

    ReplyDelete