Friday, June 18, 2010

Round 2, Day 8: wig wars

It has been a battle of wills, but I believe I am now not losing the war against wig.  


I went back to work on Thursday and decided I would try out my new expensive hair piece.  I got as far as one block from my office and chickened out.  Momentarily.  Called my guardian angel Bessie to kick my ass into the office and headed in 15 minutes later.  After tugging every which way with the wig for another 15 minutes, I finally braved the walk from the hallway ladies room to my office.


I got positive feedback on wig from Denise right away -- thanks Denise!


But I was so self conscious, that when another coworker came into my office and complimented me on my new look, I blurted out, "It's not my hair!  I'm having chemotherapy!"  Note to self:  NOT the way to gracefully receive a compliment. 


I managed to get through the rest of the day with only 320 tugs to the left, another 90 to the right, 200 back, and 150 forward.  Amazing the hairs are still intact.


But all was relatively ok.  Then, tired, I took a cab home.  I was unfortunate enough to step into one of the 80% of DC cabs that smelled of that combination of BO and air freshener.  No AC.  Front window was open.  Not enough air for me.  I opened my window all the way.  Moments later, while cruising up 15th Street, my brand new wig went flying 
off my head and onto the seat next to me.  I bit my lip not  to laugh aloud.  Grateful that it had not flown out the window and that I was not on a date at the time, I threw wig into my bag, swapped for hat, and gave the cab driver a healthy tip for not commenting.


Me & wig, Sandy (who cut my hair & fixed up my wig) and my free head


Determined not to let wig get the best of me, I decided to try again this morning.  There was a hairy moment (bad pun) when I dropped wig on the floor and Cinders nearly attacked it.  Other than that, I wore wig into work with attitude, and simply accepted the compliments today on my new 'do.  


p.s. the locks of hair above are mine and will be made into a "halo" or "fringe" which I can wear under hats and scarves.

6 comments:

  1. Phyllis, in addition to all the supportive friends, I'm so glad you have found the strength to hold on to your self of humor (loved your note to self! ha). Your new 'do looks beautiful! I'd love to join you for a walk when you are feeling up to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Miserable as I am at times, I cannot help but see the humor in things sometimes. Will email you about scheduling that walk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The wig looks exactly like your hair - just shorter than you were recently wearing it and less curly (as if you had - GULP - styled it). Very adorable. xoxo, d

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute hairstyle! But the Sinead O'Connor look isn't bad either...

    ReplyDelete