Friday, June 25, 2010

Flashback: Race day, MRI; a marathon sign

Following Diagnosis Day (March 9) and a few days in West Palm Beach, came home to DC. Mom changed her plans last minute to fly back with me since I was having a rough day that Friday in March. The next day was my birthday. Had a very low key birthday dinner and cake with a few friends and mom.

Sunday was my St. Patrick's Day 8K race! Ran with my friend Christine, finished in 62 minutes (12:30 pace). It was a really nice day out and a great time.

Then, had to face my fears about having an MRI.  The MRI was needed to evaluate whether there were any other areas of cancer in either breast besides what the mammogram and biopsy had shown.  That Sunday evening, had my MRI at Georgetown. Not surprising, knowing me, I had significant anxiety going into it. It was actually not as claustrophobic as I thought it would be. The tube was not closed; however, because I was face down in the middle of it, and not supposed to move, I really couldn't see out the end much. Because of the position in which I had to place my arms (above my head), it became quite uncomfortable (my shoulders primarily) after a while. I was in it for maybe half an hour. The clanking was as loud as I had been warned, and the sounds kept changing which freaked me out at one point. Towards the end I started becoming a little panicky (not a lot, just a little). But the technician was kind and patient with me, and I got through it.

Although I haven't run since the St. Patrick's Day 8k, I am sooooo looking forward to running again in the fall. I went to another yoga class at Smith Farm the other day (it was super gentle and relaxing this time). As I went to register and pay for the class, there on the desk was a book, "Medicine, Marathons & Miracles" -- "the true story of a married couple's journey from their simultaneous cancer diagnoses to their triumphant celebration of survival by completing the grueling 26.2 mile Marine Corps Marathon." I took that as a sign that I need to sign up for the Marine Corp Marathon next fall. Smith Farm is a great resource - they let you borrow books the old-fashioned way - just put your name on an index card. This week will be reading that one for inspiration. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Phyll--I know you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why, thank you! Tell me if you get this comment in your email.

    ReplyDelete