Thursday, June 10, 2010

Round 2, Day 1: So far, ok

Today was shorter than last time - but was still there from 10:30 to 3:30 (and then another half hour at the pharmacy after).  A friend kept me good company throughout the whole day.  Things went smoothly.  Only took one stick for the port this time.  It's pretty incredible that it feels like almost nothing is happening to me at the time.


My blood cell counts all came in ok.  Only one of the red cell counts was 1 number lower than it should be, but not nearly low enough to be of concern.  But I do need to try to eat lots of spinach and other foods with iron to prevent anemia.


I gained back the 5 pounds that I lost during the first week.  Sigh.  Dr. McGrail says she doesn't care what I eat - I can eat a piece of chocolate cake for lunch every day if I want - so long as I do not gain weight.  She stressed that very strongly - she says people that gain weight while on chemo have a higher chance of recurrence.  So I need to be more mindful when I am digging into the nutella jar.


So far, the only side effects are that my eyes are stinging when they tear up (this happened last time too, for about the first 5-6 days), and my stomach pain is back a bit.  Hoping that won't be too bad this time.  Need to drink 40-60 more ounces of fluids - good for getting the chemo washed through and out, or something like that.


Otherwise, just tired.  Didn't get to sleep until after 1:30 last night - took my steroid at 8:30, and the nurse today told me I should take it closer to 4 p.m. cause it will keep you up.  Oh well.  Still went for a half hour walk this morning before chemo.


Off to the couch for some serious R&R, and a visit from a friend later this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment