Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Round 4, Day 21: And then there are the bad days....

Today I feel like whining a bit, so stop reading if you don't want to read whiny, not-so-upbeat Phyllis.

* * * warning, whining ahead * * *

 I am sooooo sick and tired of this process.   I am seriously dreading Round 5.  My anxiety level has been through the roof the last few days.  I think the heightened anxiety may be due in large part to impending genetic testing which I will undergo in a few weeks to find out if I  have the BRCA gene mutation which will make it super likely that I will experience a recurrence some day and be more susceptible to ovarian cancer, among others, and likely need more surgeries.

And I think I am just suffering battle fatigue.  My stomach has suffered throughout this process.  Stomach pain, IBS, acid reflux (that woke up me at 3:30 last night, it was awesome), mild to moderate nausea that continues well past a week after treatment.  Drinking almost anything tastes disgusting for about 2 weeks.  My throat and ear continue to hurt a bit.  The redness on my left breast has not completely gone away and that adds to my stress, although Dr. C thinks it's likely just edema and not anything of major concern.  And I am tired.  Despite feeling mildly nauseous for the better part of a week each cycle, I have still managed to gain three pounds or so, topping the scale at my highest weight ever.  I am tired of not having hair on my head.  My eyebrows are now coming out.  I am basically missing half of each eyebrow.  I guess the eyelashes are next.  And did I mention I am tired?  I have been having trouble getting to sleep at night over the last few weeks.  What is really frustrating is that as so-so as I feel right now, this is the best I am going to feel physically over the next three weeks.  This is as good as it gets until October.  So, I have had four crying bouts in the last 24 hours including one of those crying-in-the-bathroom-at-work afternoons where I dab my eyes with a cold paper towel and pretend that nobody will notice. Actually, I don't think anyone did notice.  The taxotere causes my eyes to tear up so, I guess that's the silver lining of that side effect -- no one pays much mind to my red teary eyes.

* * * ok, whining done * * *

Mom is my babysitter this time around.  She's bringing the entire series of Freaks & Geeks.  It will help me get through these next seven days.  And despite my anxiety and self pity and whininess, I know I will get through this.  September will come (Dad and Heidi to visit in a few weeks), as will October (grand tour of VA three weeks after last chemo).  Lots of fall hiking awaits me.  Much to look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment