Saturday, September 18, 2010

Round 6, Day 10: No known mutation!

Two weeks ago I met with a genetic counselor and had my blood drawn to determine if I had a genetic mutation that would predispose me to future breast cancers (and ovarian cancer, among others), known as BRCA1  and BRCA2.

The testing is all about the numbers.  The genetic counselor explained to me that 5-10% of breast and ovarian cancers are hereditary; the BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations account for 30-50% of hereditary breast cancers.  Because of my specific set of factors:  (i) breast cancer at an early age (i.e., before 50); (ii) second degree relative with breast cancer at an early age (grandmother); an (iii) being Ashkenazi Jewish, the model said there was a 17.5% chance I would test positive for one of these mutations.  If positive, there would be a 50-65% chance of developing a second breast cancer, and 10-50% chance of developing ovarian cancer.

Needless to say, this caused ..... ("wait for it.......") ....... anxiety.   So the last several weeks, have been dreading what happens if I were to find out that despite having just gone through all that I've been through, I might have over a 50% chance of developing breast cancer all over again and having to go through this all over again.  Ugh.

Thursday morning I found out that my test came back and "no known mutation was found."  NEGATIVE!!  Serious sigh of relief!!

This doesn't mean I won't develop a recurrence or new breast cancer or ovarian cancer, but it means I don't have the known BRCA mutations that carry the higher risk factors.  I was told my risk for a second breast cancer is still increased based on my personal history (0.5-1% per  year, up to 10-20% over lifetime) but risk of ovarian cancer is the same as the general population, 1-2%.

Other than that, have been spending the last few days trying to convince my stomach to stop bothering me.  The stomach pain has not been as bad this time around, but the general feeling of ickiness has been.  Here's hoping it will listen soon.  (I mean that literally... last night I downloaded a meditation/guided imagery specifically geared to irritable bowel syndrome.  My stomach and I will listen to it shortly before we attempt to go to sleep.)




3 comments:

  1. I am so relieved, too! You've been so strong in waiting around for this answer and finishing up the last round of chemo. Maybe the stomach will let go a bit, because it sounds like it's been manifesting all the stress. BTW, my stomach seems to be working in sympathy with yours...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, tell your stomach to listen not to do that! Will try to catch up with you by phone later on in the week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news Phyllis!!! I am so glad that the results are in, and I hope you can enjoy some less anxious days ahead. HUGS!!!

    ReplyDelete