Friday, July 23, 2010

Maybe I just need more support...

That is, of the left breast (i.e., lumpectomy breast).  Saw Dr. C at Georgetown today.  She said the redness maybe looks a tiny bit better.  She thinks what is likely going on is that some fluid has built up and gotten infected.  In addition to my antibiotic (Keflex), she wants me to wear a very supportive sports bra for compression, just as I did after the surgery.  Will potentially help with the fluid problem.  See her again on Tuesday to see if things are improving.  As long as it does not get worse, I am scheduled to begin Round 4 on Thursday.

And speaking further of support.  This morning I met with a social worker who runs some breast cancer support groups and workshops at Sibley Hospital.  That was helpful and I hope to meet with her again and get tied into her support group networks.  She asked me a very telling question -- have I been able to ask for help from friends and family and tell them what I need.  Asking people for what I need has never been easy for me, and not sure if I've done a good job of it so far.  

I think as I head into phase two of chemo, I need to try to take a little better care of myself physically. When I am exhausted, I need to realize that, duh, resting might help a bit.  I think I will try to have friends over to my place more frequently and go out less -- that way, I can still get the support that has been so helpful from friends and family (and I am very appreciative of all of the support so far!!), while conserving energy.   And I think I am going to try to reduce my work hours a bit.

Putting that last one into practice, did not go into work today.  After my appointments, came home and rested.  Then off to the gym for 35 minutes and 1.81 miles on the treadmill!  (Of course, I had to drive the six blocks to the gym because it feels like the inside of an oven outside.)  And the treadmill walk felt great, so I need to make sure to work that into the schedule.  Exercise helps combat chemo fatigue.

So -- plan of action -- more rest, regular walks, and invites to friends to come play cards, games, watch tv, movies, do crosswords, and hang out.  Etc.  

5 comments:

  1. You are such a self-sufficient person when you're well that it must be hard to face the idea of slowing down, or the need to ask for assistance. It's a good thing to know that you have lots of help out there, ready to step up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! And thanks for your call last night...will call soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How are you feeling today, after having done the treadmill yesterday? I hope you're still feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a plan. Relax and heal.
    You are not losing your independence or your strength by asking for what you need. You are asserting your right to get what you need. Your job isn't more important than you - take time off when you need it. You have done plenty for others; now let them do for you. Do what you enjoy so that you can keep your spirits up, now more than ever.
    Sorry if I sound preachy - I don't mean to, but I have learned that this "philosophy" has gotten me through some very hard times.
    Sending you love and light-
    RA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sounding preachy at all - thank you!

    ReplyDelete