Tuesday, May 31, 2011

"ring my bell"

Ding dong, the herceptin's done.

After a somewhat crappy few days earlier in the week, I had my final herceptin appointment last thursday, May 26.  Herceptin # 18 of 18.  I've been feeling so blech and blah lately that it was hard to get too excited about it, but it was a very nice final appointment after all.  First I met with Dr. Smith, who was plotting out the next several herceptin visits ("I'll see you next time, but after that, I'll see you every other one.")  I had to break it to him gently that this was my LAST herceptin.  He did warmly congratulate me.

I brought the nurses a cute arrangement of fake flowers (I was concerned about bringing real ones into the chemo room where people are sensitive to smell...).  Got applause from the nurses for really graduating this time - yay!  And a big ol' hug from Nurse Karen.  And then - very special - she brought out this enormous bell for me to ring.  And since I didn't do it loudly enough, I got to do it over & over.  I think at that late time in the afternoon, there was only one other person left in the chemo room and she was very happy for me.

Nurse Karen & me
 Right after getting home from the doctor, raced off to the kennedy center to see the awesome girl duo, the sweater set (plus drummer).  Dinner with friends and then home, exhausted.  But done.

the sweater set

2 comments: