Monday, December 6, 2010

30 RADS: RADS done!...what next?

Wow, it feels like weeks since my last post.  Just six days.

Wednesday was my last radiation appointment.  My last treatment was filled with treats.  Chocolate ruggelach for my radiation techs who put up with me for nearly two months.  And the special surprise they had for me was the graduation march - played twice!  Ended on a very positive, upbeat note.  

So, what's next?

I continue every three weeks on the herceptin until 18 infusions, towards the end of May.

At the beginning of January, I start a five-year stint of tamoxifen.  Just starting to learn about that.

Follow-ups:  in addition to seeing my oncologist every three weeks in conjunction with my herceptin infusions, my radiation oncologist said she wants me to see her and my surgeon, alternating every three months, for the next two years.  My surgeon, Dr. Cocilovo, is leaving georgetown at the end of the year so if I want to stay with her, need to go to the Inova Breast Institute in Fairfax.  Which I expect I will do.  Mammogram in six months.

So, for now, need to learn all that I can about what I can do to help reduce my risk of recurrence.  Dr. Croog (radiation doc) says:  exercise, no drinking more than 1 serving of alcohol in a day, baby aspirin.  Dr. McGrail (oncologist) says Vitamin D and lose weight and maintain a healthy weight.

And in the meantime, getting back in the swing of full time work, hiking, more photography, running, and .... well, not sure.  Oh - and updating the blog periodically.

2 comments:

  1. YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Congratulations!!!!!!!!!
    I'm so happy you are through both chemo and radiation now!

    Love,

    Peter

    ReplyDelete