Saturday, October 16, 2010

Radiation Stress

Given my level of stress this week, you wouldn't know that I received good news three times recently (BRCA negative; clean mammogram; and negative biopsy).

But it was a stressful week.  Most of it radiation stress.  My radiation was supposed to begin last week but was postponed because of the biopsy I had last Thursday.  Then, it was supposed to begin this past Thursday.  There were scheduling issues that are too tedious to describe.  The short version is that despite three phone calls to confirm, my calendar still differed from Sibley's (the hospital where my radiation will be).

In any event, on Wednesday, I had my "dry run" and they took X-rays.  I was in a prone position (on my stomach) because that was supposed to best protect my heart and lungs from receiving radiation.  But it was quite uncomfortable and the doctor decided that this position wouldn't work for me.  She explained that it is very important to be able to maintain the position and because my shoulder, neck and jaw were cramping up, it was not a good idea to try to use this position.  I was freaked out because I thought the prone position was what would protect my heart and lungs.

So, I had to redo the simulation on my back (the traditional radiation position for breast cancer) and do a special breath holding technique.  I will hold my breath as they direct me at certain times which will help bring the heart out of the radiation's path.   The new dry run and X-rays will be on Monday, and I will start for real on Tuesday.  I spoke with my radiation oncologist on Friday afternoon (she returned my call - I love a doctor who returns calls!) and she assured me that the treatment plan will have the radiation avoiding my heart and lungs, so I am much calmer now than I was earlier in the week.

Also on Monday I will have an echocardiogram to evaluate my heart's functioning to see if there has been any adverse effect so far from the herceptin, which can cause heart damage.

As I write this, it doesn't sound all that stressful.  Nonetheless, I was a bit of a basket case this week.  Luckily, the week is now over and I am looking forward to a relaxing weekend.

2 comments:

  1. I think you need another vacation after this. Or at least a whole day at a spa. Let's hope for smoother sailing in the coming weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey May! I owe you a phone call... I bet you are in need of a spa day too! Will try to catch up with you later on this week or over weekend. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete