Tuesday, October 19, 2010

1 down, 29 to go

This morning met with Dr. Croog and she showed me the treatment plan (there is a whole big black binder all about me, including some very unflattering photos of me lying on the treatment table during simulation).  She told me that the treatment plan avoids the heart, and while the radiation will hit the lungs, the degree to which it will is less than average.  There is a small risk that I will develop radiation pneumonitis.

So - the plan is 30 treatments over six weeks.  The first 23 will be a larger area, and the last 7 targeted at the lumpectomy site.  My appointment time will usually be 8:45 a.m.  Although today's appointment took an hour, they usually will be quicker.  Most of the time is spent situating me on the treatment table, having me practice my breath-holding.  The zapping part is really only a minute or so.  We'll see how tomorrow goes...

2 comments:

  1. How are you doing after your first week??? I hope you are doing well and were able to enjoy some of the sunny beautiful weekend. Sending you positive vibes and prayers for some healthy lungs! Hugs! Only 26 more to go.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hanging in there, thanks! It was indeed a beautiful weekend ... got out for parts of it. Hope to step it up soon with the hiking!

    ReplyDelete