Thursday, February 16, 2012

Pacing myself

As I wind my way through february, I am finding that pacing myself is important.

Me & my training partners, Jess & Colleen
As I have mentioned (again and again!), I am training for a half marathon - one month from tomorrow!  This past sunday, did my longest training run to date - 9 miles.  (And baby was it cold outside; see picture over there).  Previously when I trained for long distance runs (2005-2006), I would typically feel completely spent after a long run.  Sunday, in the wind and the cold, we kept a nice easy pace, so that I actually felt OK afterwards.  In fact, not having gotten quite enough of the wind chill for that day, I spent a few hours later that afternoon wandering around alexandria taking photographs (see pics below).

While I am generally feeling pretty well, I may be overdoing things a bit, and probably could stand to mind my pace.  Make sure there's enough downtime with the kitties so I am not quite so exhausted.  Maybe not go to yoga right after running 7 miles.  Yeah, I did that last month.

And onto medical news.  Had a followup appointment with my radiation oncologist today.  She said all looks good.   She tried to reassure me that while it is perfectly normal to have the constant fear of recurrence, which I have, medically I'm in good shape, having received all the various treatments I did (and continuing to take tamoxifen).  Then, we discussed my upcoming schedule of appointments.  She said I don't need to see her until November/December!  Rather than have a bunch of appointments right in a row, she told me to space them out in three month intervals.  So, I will see my oncologist in May, my surgeon in August, have my mammogram in September/October, and see my radiation oncologist again in November/December.  Sounds like a good planned pace for medical visits for the rest of the year.





2 comments:

  1. That's great that your appointment went well. Slow down and take time to smell the kitties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha! Lily says, "what's there to smell"?

    ReplyDelete