Thursday, December 29, 2011

Half crazy

Coming back from Florida, I was exhausted, drained, and fighting a serious case of the winter blahs.  Then, a few weeks ago, after I went running with one of the women from Cancer-to-5K, I decided to join her in signing up for a half marathon in March.  (Thanks Jess for the inspiration! and Colleen for adding to it!)

I emailed the Cancer-to-5K coach and asked him whether he thought I was crazy for doing this.  His response:  yes (I hadn't run more than 4 miles in two years), and no (there's a generous four-hour limit on it, and I can do run/walk intervals).  And more yesses and nos.  I am most certainly half crazy.  But also crazy (in a good way) for the half.  I don't know yet whether I will be able to complete it, but I know that the decision to start training for it was the best decision I have made in a while.  I have found new motivation for exercising, even through cold and windy weather, which in turn is giving me more energy and helping me fight my winter depression.

So, I feel I have gotten a head start on new year's resolutions already.

In medical news, I made it through a week last week without a single medical appointment!  That is definitely progress.  Still many to come early in 2012, routine follow-ups, oncologist, dentist, bone scan (to get a baseline), a colonoscopy in the spring (an every-5-year thing) (ugh), and more physical therapy.  Just as my right shoulder finally started unfreezing and feeling good, my left shoulder decided to become frozen.  I have had a lot of pain in my left shoulder and neck, and am getting physical therapy and massage therapy to help with that.

Looking forward to 2012 as a year to make more positive changes in my life.  While the path is not yet clear, I hope it soon will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment