Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Pain in the neck

Sitting here, chilling out on the couch, recovering from port implantation yesterday.

Up at 6 a.m. yesterday for early morning appointment to have medi-port implanted in me. What is a port? Here's a good explanation (always handy to save the promotional literature from chemo class) from Portadvantage.

The most difficult part of yesterday's procedure was my own anxiety.

The nurses in the interventional radiology department at georgetown were incredibly kind and patient, they listened well and were very responsive. I cannot say enough good things about them. I told them I was really worried about the part about being put out, after the bad anesthesia experience. Nurse Alice said if I wanted, I could have very light sedation and stay awake during the procedure -- which I did! The doctor walked through me every step. The worst pain was the two numbing injections. One in the neck (where the catheter part of the port went, I think) and one in my chest, about 3 inches below my collarbone. After the injections, about 2-3 seconds of burning pain, then not so bad. The procedure lasted about 30 minutes, during which I was awake the whole time -- yay! The doctor said most of his patients are asleep. Not me. I waited until the 2 hours of recovery time to sleep!

Yesterday and this morning the pain was pretty uncomfortable, primarily the incision in the neck. Finally this evening, I can turn my head without too much pain. Get to remove the dressing and take a shower tonight :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment