Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Diagnosis day: A year later

It was a year ago today that I received the call from georgetown that my biopsy came back positive (positive not being a good thing).  Invasive breast cancer.

Twelve months later:  1.8 cm lump successfully removed on the first try by the amazing Dr. Cocilovo, 2-3 lymph nodes gone (still not sure whether I had two or three removed ... the important key being that they were negative!), one port implant, 6 rounds of chemotherapy (TCH ... taxotere, carboplatin & herceptin), 8 more rounds of herceptin (4 more to go), no hair for five months, 30 days of radiation, 10 pounds heavier (despite feeling queasy on chemo half the time, I managed to gain weight, go figure) .... here I am.   From the sunshine state, where I learned of my diagnosis, to the grand canyon state, where I am celebrating being beyond cancer, and trying to figure out my new life (including handling anxiety over recurrence), here I am.



I have so many people that helped me through, whether for the whole year, or just a small moment along the way, for which I am very thankful.  I wouldn't dare try listing people for fear of missing someone.  You know who you are, so thank you.

7 comments:

  1. What a wonderful picture! You look fantastic!
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur with the above comment!
    Have a good trip home today!
    Love, Peter

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great picture! Hope the return wasn't as challenging... big hug from May

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi May (and mom & pete), return home went without a hitch. Except I'm missing some sleep.... thanks & big hugs to all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. RoseK said...

    Now, looking back on your blog, I know what carboplatin is - and a lot of other things too. I'm revisiting your blog to help myself find the courage to deal with my brother's stage 4 lung cancer and help him to deal with it. So far he's had 2 chemo sessions in two weeks, with no ill effects, but the cancer has spread to his liver and brain.
    I read back over your words and feel your strength and courage through all you endured. it is inspiring to see now how you are running, hiking, traveling and working now. Your positive outlook helps me to be positive as I help George keep his spirits up.
    Though I'm not exactly up to running for the cure, I am making cancer awareness bracelets to raise funds.
    Keep up the good fight and have a wonderful summer. I love seeing your beautiful smile in yo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi RoseAnn, I just saw this comment...thanks for your note. So glad that the blog could help even in a little way.

    ReplyDelete